How important is Ingress Protection (IP) Rating for Cabinets
To enhance the durability of a Telecommunication/Switchgear Cabinets and to secure it from dust and water, it becomes crucial for manufacturers to create enclosures that have higher IP ratings.
Any entry of solid/liquid ingress particle into the system could damage the electrical equipment. To avoid any such damages to the equipment or in certain cases to retain its efficiency it is important for the equipment to be IP compliant.
Effect of solid/liquid ingress particle on day to day device applications
- A camera that is to function under water should be protected from liquid ingress. Hence in order to protect this equipment we need to follow the international IP codes.
- Submersible pumps should be ingress protected against the water to a certain degree
- A digital sign board on the street should be ingress protected against the dust and rain.
- An automobile car door when closed should be ingress protected against spray of water and dust to a certain degree.
Ingress Protection Rating: Ingress protection also called as ignorance pass is very important since the product goes through many challenging circumstances. Ingress protection (IP) is the rating or the degree of protection given to the enclosures. This was developed by the European committee for electro technical standardization (NEMA IEC 60529 degrees of protection). The IP rating has two digits (as per IEC 60529 standards) and has three digits as per some other standards.
- The first digit is for the protection against solid objects or the material
- The second digit is for the protection against liquids.
- The third digit is for the protection against mechanical impact.
IP first digit protection with the description for the solid objects.
- No protection
- Protection for solid object over 50 mm.
- Protection for solid object over 12 mm.
- Protection for solid object over 2.5 mm.
- Protection for solid object over 1 mm.
- Protection with respect to limited dust.
- Complete protection against dust.
IP second digit protection with the description for the liquid objects.
- No protection
- Protection for vertically falling drips.
- Protection for spray of water up to 15° vertically.
- Protection for spray of water up to 60° vertically.
- Protection for spray of water from all direction.
- Protection for low pressure jet of water from all direction.
- Protection for temporary flooding of water.
- Protection for immersion between 15 cm to 1m.
- Protection for long time immersion under pressure.
From the above “IP” stands for the protection, the 1st digit “6” stands for complete protection against dust and the 2nd digit “8” stands for protection against entry of any liquid in to the system under pressure for long time. If the ingress protection rating is shown as IPX6 then, for “X” 1st digit the enclosure was not tested for the protection of the solid objects. If the IP rating is IP64 for an enclosure then the 1st digit 6 stands for protection against the limited dust and the second digit 4 standards for protection against spray of water up to 60° vertically.
Based on the application of a Telecommunication/Switchgear Cabinet, it is important to decide the expected exposure the product may undergo during its life cycle. This understanding is crucial during the design stage as it enables the designer to take a decision on developing a higher IP rated design. The knowledge of this standard will help the designer to positively impact the product’s usage and durability. The standard has been received across a varied range of industries due to simpler ways of implementation and denotation of equipment efficiency.
If you need to discuss your needs in the design and manufacture of Telecommunication/Switchgear cabinets please contact Keltech’s Business Development Manager Seamus Lawlor who would be delighted to discuss your needs further
Keltech Target Tank Growth
Six of the top ten construction original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) in the world procure their steel fuel and hydraulic tanks from Keltech, a specialized tank manufacturer based in Waterford, Ireland. The company recently finished a multi-million euro transformation of its operations and the focus is now firmly on expanding its already impressive tank business.
Keltech turn Deise Men’s shed concept into reality!
In early September a gentleman waited patiently in Keltech reception holding a free hand sketch with some outline dimensions. After a brief chat he introduced himself as John Flavin, a member of the local Deise Mens shed. He was enquiring; could Keltech help build a non-slip ramp for the local workshop.
Keltech Announced as one of Irelands Best Managed Companies in 2022!
Keltech has been named as one of Ireland’s Best Managed companies at the Deloitte Best Managed Companies Awards 2022. Keltech who demonstrated superior business performance was recognized for a second consecutive year at the gala awards held last night at the Convention Centre Dublin.
Cabinet Manufacturer Keltech To Attend Connected Britain.
High-volume cabinet manufacturer Keltech will attend their first ever Connected Britain on the 21st of September. The event offers an unrivaled opportunity to understand the technology, regulation, and investment environment for the rollout of next-generation networks in the UK.
Multi Million Euro Factory Investment Complete.
Keltech has now completed a multi-million-euro transformation of its operations based at the IDA Industrial Park, Waterford city. The contract manufacturing partner which supplies customers in; Ireland, the UK, Mainland Europe and the USA , has announced the completion of the 2 year investment programme.
"Blazing a Trail" Emma Daly.
Rathgormack born Emma Daily became Keltech’s very first female to enter our Welding Academy in November 2021. 8 months later Emma’s welding torch is burning bright. She has firmly become a key member of our Tank division and now fabricates fuel & hydraulic tanks for some of the largest construction equipment manufacturers in the world.